Tours Around Crete
Situated in the heart of the Mediterranean, at the crossroads of three continents, Crete shows evidence for human civilization since ancient times (7.000 B.C.). In the area of Plakias (near Kalypso) archeologists have discovered the world’s oldest traces of human activity (approximately 150,000 years ago) which testify naval activities.
Today, visitors enjoy the amenities of modern civilization against a backdrop of gracious natural beauty. Historic sites and ancient traditions are combined in harmony with modern luxury in this part of the island.
Guided and independent tours are organized daily by Kalypso in order to find out more about the island of Crete.
Transportation to Crete and transportation within Crete:
- By air: the Heraklion airport (115 km from Kalypso) and Chania (95 km from Kalypso). From April to October there are charter flights from the major cities in Europe. All year around, there are daily flights to Athens.
- By sea: connected all year round with Piraeus from the ports of Crete (Chania, Rethymnon and Herkalion). From April to October, there are ferries to the Aegean islands.
- In Crete: you can get around by public transport, rented car or motorbike.
- Kalypso - Heraklion - Knossos
(go shopping in the commercial capital of Crete; visit the Archeological museum and the Minoan palace)
- Kalypso - Rethymnon
(walk around the most traditional city in Crete)
- Kalypso - Chania
(see West Crete’s picturesque city with its Venetian port and old town)
- Plakias - Omalos - Samaria
(the most beautiful gorge in Europe)
- Plakias - Agios Nikolaos - Vai
(rare palm-tree forest beach)
- Plakias - Anogia
(visit Ideon Cave where Zeus was born and the village, meet the local people, taste local specialties, dance Cretan dances, listen to music, and learn more about Cretan art)
You can find guidebooks and maps of the region, get information from the local people and organise wonderful excursions.